APIs play a critical role in helping software connect and communicate, as well as making the lives of developers a little easier. Over the years we’ve published a number of posts to help developers design APIs to get the most from them.
Below is a list of our most popular API design posts you can read now or bookmark for later.
Getting started with API design
- API Web Design: The Missing Link: Best Practices for Crafting Interfaces that Developers Love [ebook]
- APIs 101: Everything you need to know about API design
- Designing and managing APIs: Best practices & common pitfalls
- API Design Guide [documentation]
Different approaches: REST, RPC, and GraphQL
- Understanding gRPC, OpenAPI and REST and when to use them in API design
- REST vs RPC: What problems are you trying to solve with your APIs?
- GraphQL: Building a consistent approach for the API consumer
- Why your APIs should be entity-oriented
- Why you should use links, not keys, to represent relationships in APIs
- Names vs identifiers in URLs: Which should you use in your API design?
- The false dichotomy of stability vs human-centric URL design in web APIs
- API Design: Which version of versioning is right for you?
- API versioning best practices: When you need versioning and when you don’t
- Solving SEO problems with API design, part 1
- Solving SEO problems with API design, part 2
Want to keep reading? Find more of our API related content on the Cloud blog here.
By: The Google Cloud editorial team
Source: Google Cloud Blog